Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Selling Equipment to Make Room for New Equipment to shoot LAX games!

Well it is Lacrosse Season again and time for me to switch my photography gear to sports and action. Last year I rented a Nikon 300mm 2.8 lens and found it a great addition. But renting lens' for a season is prohibitively expensive and time consuming. So I am hunting for a fast prime Nikon or Sigma 300mm f2.8 or a fast f2.8 Sigma zoom lens, Nikon mount, with a top end of 300mm to purchase and add to my sports kit. If I make enough from my sale I might add a tele-converter to the mix to get me even closer to the action when there is enough light.  My old Tokina f4.5  80-400 zoom just isn't fast enough nor does it focus fast enough. To raise cash for my purchase I am selling some of my less used gear. Please go to ebay and check out my listings if interested. I am selling my Sinar F, my Graflex Crown graphic (renovated) 4x5 press camera , my Nikon 28mm PC lens and more to follow. I have also added two old but good camera bodies,  a Nikon D2H and a Nikon D2Hs to my sports kit. Old professional bodies with small, 4 meg, sensors that once cost $5K each. Why? because they shoot at really fast frame rates 8 per second, create raw files that are a manageable size and are built likes tanks! Check out Ken Rockwell's website where he talks about them being the best value for sports and action photography because that is what they were designed to do. I have been shooting with the D2H and have been impressed. I have a new ebay purchse of a D2Hs on the way! Of course my Nikon D600 still makes way better images overall. But for these action shots that hardly ever get enlarged past screen size these old camera's seems to be a way to prevent having to run every image through Photoshop to get the file size down to something managable . The D2H is good but the D2Hs has a bigger big buffer that will allow me to almost continuously shoot images at 8 frames per second with metering and focus. To get that with a current size sensor you still have to drop at least 5K. Quick continuous frame rate...just the thing for capturing quick moving LAX action if the light is good. They don't do so well in low light. My Nikon D600 will still by my go to for shots under lights. As a D4 is just not in my price range!


Here are links to the ebay postings if you are interested:
Sinar F 4x5 kit with accessories and case: Sinar F for sale on Ebay
Nikon 28mm PC F3.5 lens:Nikon 28mm PC lens for sale on Ebay
Graflex Pacemaker Crown Graphic 4x5 Press Camera: Graflex Crown Graphic 4x5 Press camera for sale on Ebay

See the photos below. More images on Ebay!
Graflex Crown Graphic - Renovated 

Nikon 28mm PC Lens

Sinar F with Wide angle bellows and accessories 

Sinar F in case 

Sinar F Camera 

No comments:

Post a Comment